Cantara Cellars produces premium wines at our winery located in Camarillo, in the heart of Ventura County Wine Country. Take a day or a weekend to tour wineries local to Southern California. We’re less than an hour drive from all parts of the greater Los Angeles area. Take a winery tour and make of day of wine tasting with your friends. If you have more time, you can do wine tasting at more than 15 wineries or tasting rooms within a 30 minute drive. For more information visit www.vcwines.com.
Ventura County Wineries serve wine lovers from throughout Los Angeles, Orange County, San Fernando Valley, Pasadena, Burbank, Glendale, Santa Clarita, Calabasas, Agoura, Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, Simi Valley, Moorpark, Camarillo, Oxnard, Ventura, and Ojai.
Cantara Cellars began in 2002 as a private winery at Mike and Chris Brown’s Moorpark home. With their home located in the “Cantara” section of the Serenata development it only seemed fitting to name it “Cantara Cellars”.
Beginning with just 250 pounds of Chardonnay hand harvested from Mike’s parent’s vineyards in Lodi California, they fermented their first 18 gallons of wine! Over the next five years they carefully selected additional wine grape sources, increased their knowledge of winemaking, refined their wine style, expanded grape varieties, and increased production. This culminated with the opening of a public tasting room in October 2007.
The winery has consistently grown and now harvests more than 50 tons of 10 varietals each fall.
- We’re often asked “You’re in Camarillo, why does it say Lodi on your label?”
- The front label on a bottle of wine states where the grapes were grown. The back label say who and where the wine was made.
- Mike (owner and winemaker) grew up in Lodi, where his family has lived since 1847.
- Mike’s parents own and farm 28 acres of premium Chardonnay on what once was his grandparent’s farm.
- Lodi…65 miles south-east from Napa…grows over 69 fabulous wine grape varieties!
- Lodi has been a major winegrape region for over 150 years, with commerical production beginning in the 1880’s.
- Lodi has a fine Mediterranean climate perfect for grapes, where temperatures between June and September average a high of 90°F and an overnight low of 56°F.
- Lodi is where we’re able to source grapes from people we know and trust to deliver great fruit year after year.